Programme Manager at SIWI Knowledge Services
The Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) is a Stockholm-based policy institute that generates knowledge and informs decision-making towards water wise policies. Founded in 1991, SIWI performs research, builds institutional capacity and provides advisory services in five thematic areas: water governance, transboundary water management, climate change and water, the water-energy-food nexus and water economics. Annually, SIWI organizes the World Water Week in Stockholm and hosts the Stockholm Water Prize, the Stockholm Junior Water Prize and the Stockholm Industry Water Award.
SIWI is currently recruiting an experienced Programme Manager for a complex and long-term project in the Middle East region (primarily) and activities in the Africa Region and also to contribute to the programming and development of the Water Economics Theme within Knowledge Services.
Areas of responsibility:
The incumbent will support the Chief Economist and will collaborate closely with SIWI´s main regional partners. The focus is fourfold: 1) Organizational support to key programme partners; 2) financial and administrative support; and 3) full participation in all project meetings including responsibility for logistics; and 4) support programming of the Water Economics Theme. The incumbent is supervised by the Chief Economist.
Main tasks include responsibility for:
- Managing term of references, drafting and following up on contracts, scheduling meetings, budgeting project tasks, continuous financial monitoring, updating the results based management system and monitoring internal and external risks;
- Supporting the preparation of agendas and drafting high-level minutes;
- Daily management of the staff as required, by accounting for personnel, recommending task assignments, monitoring, coordinating to create work plans and supporting the capacity development.
- Monthly work planning submissions.
- Effective logistic, administrative and managerial support for the successful implementation of programme activities including enforcing compliance of event planning guidelines, all financial policies and procedures, and contract management.
- The evaluation of programme goals, objectives and risks including strategic planning for future activities and missions.
- Provide security reports and follow-up on security incidents in the region and/or incidents involving staff.
- Identifying, developing and managing strategic activities for the Water Economics Theme.
Travel to the Middle East region (primarily) and also Africa Region and to programme partners will be required. The above list does not exclude performing other duties that may be required from time to time.
Experience and skills required
The employee should have at least five to ten years of relevant experience from one or more of the following fields acquired either in a business or a not-for-profit environment:
- Programme Management;
- Financial Reporting;
- Risk Management;
- Inter-Cultural Communication;
- Grant Management Experience;
- Peace Building;
- Conflict Management;
- International Development;
- Sustainable Development;
Work experience in the Middle East region is highly desirable.
An academic degree in management; social sciences, law or international relations or conflict management.
- Excellent written and spoken English is required. Fluency in Arabic, Turkish or Persian /Farsi is desirable.
- Excellent representation and communication skills (oral and written), including cross-cultural skills, media skills.
- Ability to communicate consistently and succinctly.
- Ability to operate with high levels of autonomy and in making sound judgments, sometimes within a highly stressful environment.
- Maintain morale among staff in challenging work environments through clear and consistent communication to staff and collaborative contribution to the programme partners.
Key personal skills required to perform
- A resourceful “doer” with problem solving and negotiation skills
- Demonstrate drive and initiative
- Diplomatic skills
- Solid financial and administrative skills
- Problem solving analytical ability. Works well with complicated issues. Analyzes and breaks down problems into their constituent parts and solves complex problems.
- Leadership. Leads, motivates and provides others with the authorization needed to efficiently reach mutual targets. Coordinates groups and acts as a point of reference for others. Brings about commitment and participation. Is pro-active and has a good prioritization and decision making ability.
- Creative. Often comes up with ideas and new approaches in work-related issues. Has a new approach that can be translated into action and deliver results.
- Flexible. Adapts easily to changed circumstances. Is able to quickly change his/ her outlook and approach. Sees the potential in changed circumstances.
- Ability to cooperate. Works well with other people. Relates to other people in a responsive and flexible manner. Listens, communicates and solves conflicts in a constructive way.
- Cultural awareness. Values ??differences and understands how the background, culture and group identity affect oneself and others. Has the ability to take this into account when making decisions and selecting actions.
- Financial awareness. Understands and applies commercial principles. Focuses on costs, revenues and efficiency from an economic perspective.
- Stability. Remains stable and controlled under stressful or pressured situations. Retains a realistic perspective on situations and focuses on the right things. Structures, balances and gets things done, with attention to detail.
- Relationship-building. Is outgoing and socially active in professional contexts. Generates contacts and maintains relationships.
Must be able to travel approximately 1/3 of the work time.
The duty station is Stockholm.
As soon as possible.
Apply by submitting application letter (maximum two pages) and CV to email@example.com by 12th December 2014.