(Re-Advertisement) Job opportunity - Tax Justice Policy Advisor in Zambia
ActionAid Zambia (AAZ) seeks an experienced Tax Justice Policy Advisor, who is able to provide efficient capacity development to both national staff at the ActionAid office and its partner organisations. An overall objective of the placement is to provide top-notch technical advisory support on policy analysis, campaigns and advocacy so as to hold government and corporates accountable in the implementation of tax policies.
AAZ has a national coverage through its Local Rights Programmes (LRPs) in 7 districts and works closely with local and national partner organizations. The Tax Justice Policy Advisor will work with the LRPs and selected partner organizations to develop and use evidence based research and policy analysis to advocate for tax justice at local, national and international levels.
Key result areas
- Provide capacity training in data generation and analysis of tax policies for use in advocacy and campaigning
- Based on the assessment results, support and facilitate training, coaching and mentoring of key individuals at AAZ, the Centre for Trade Policy and Development (CTPD) and the Zambia Tax Platform (ZTP)
- Support regional and international work with AAZ on tax progressivity
- Guide the conduct of research and policy analysis on progressive taxation particularly in the context of Zambia
- Support AAZ in facilitating regional and international shared learnings on progressive taxation through webinars and skype meetings
- Minimum of 10 years post graduate work experience particularly related to tax, economic justice and governance
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in developing countries, preferably on advocacy and campaigns in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Significant experience in policy analysis and research on tax justice and economic justice within the development context
- National budget and expenditure tracking skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the culture and political situation in East and Southern regions;
- Experience of successful advocacy and campaigning work that has resulted in changes in policy, practice or behavior
Application procedure and deadline
Forward a letter of motivation and an updated CV (less more than 4 pages) by email email@example.com with a subject line Ref: Zambia TJP Advisor. The application package should not exceed 2 MBs
Deadline for application submission is: February 7th 2016
Contract start is subject to approval of work and residence permit, which can be a lengthy process. Therefore, the expected start date is April – May 1st. The assignment is for 24 months, with the possibility for renewal.
Estimated recruitment process
- February 12th Shortlisted candidates are contacted
- February 15th __ Phone/SKYPE interviews with shortlisted candidates
- February 29th_ Final Skype interviews
Due to the large number of applications received for these positions, it is not possible to provide feedback for all applications. Therefore, only shortlisted candidates will be notified at each stage of the recruitment process. If you have not received any reply to your application by February 15th, then should consider yourself unsuccessful for this position.
A comprehensive job description is available for download at: www.actionaid.org The job description includes thorough information about the job content, basic salary, and background for the placement. All interested candidates are strongly recommended to go through the detailed job description before applying. For more information on the People4Change program, please visit the ActionAid Denmark website: www.ms.dk For information on ActionAid Zambia, please visit:www.actionaid.org/Zambia
The Tax Justice Policy Advisor is placed through ActionAid Denmark’s People4Change program; a people-to-people programme providing development support to ActionAid Country Programs and there partner organisations. As People4Change is a cross-national program, aiming at building tolerance, respect and expertise across cultures and borders, this position is not available for permanent residents of Zambia. If you are a permanent resident of Zambia and find this job interesting, please note that similar Advisor placements in other countries are regularly advertised at: www.actionaid.org