- Position title: Director, Communication & External Relations Department (CERD)
- Grade: EL-5
- Position N°: 50083099
- Reference: ADB/16/027
- Publication date: 12/02/2016
- Closing date: 06/03/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a senior management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The purpose of the Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank's credibility and good reputation as Africa's leading development finance institution. The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet of the President, the Director of the Communication and External Relations Department will be responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the Department. The Director will be responsible for two Divisions ('Communications; 'External relations') and will have the following duties and responsibilities.
1. Leading and having oversight responsibility for the communication team and establishing clear reporting lines for the two Division Managers.
2. Being a member of the Executive Team, contributing to the Senior Management Coordination Committee.
3. Leading the department's team to ensure constant review of the Bank's communication and branding strategies and ensuring that they are effective in promoting the Bank's policies, programs and interventions as one of the leading financial development institutions in Africa.
4. Acting as the Bank's spokesperson on the instructions of the President and Senior Management.
5. Advising the President and Senior Management on public relations and communication issues within and outside the Bank.
6. Leading and coordinating Bank-wide communications across the Bank's organisational units in all offices (HQ and Field Offices), and for specific operational or knowledge projects, by providing general guidelines, and setting clear communication goals and key performance indicators, and ensuring the allocation of necessary human and financial resources to achieve the required objectives.
7. Supervising the implementation of the Bank's communication strategy, especially in key areas of: localised communications; 'results-based' communications; support for the Bank as a knowledge institution; and strong and consistent branding.
8. Enhancing knowledge and communications to key public and specific groups in regional and non-regional member countries (government services, business circles, NGOs, international organizations, the general public, etc.) and planning, preparing and implementing information programmes to keep them informed of the Bank's programmes and achievements.
9. Preparing and implementing communication programmes to mobilize public opinion to support the economic and social development of Africa, and the Bank's activities in this area, through the publication of articles and speeches, dissemination of films, organization of exhibitions, visits, debates, etc.
10. Ensuring the production and distribution of high quality and informative brochures, publications, press reviews, audio-visual as well as electronic documents for the media and public to enhance the Bank's image, and maintaining good and close working relations with all key media companies.
11. Preparing and disseminating press releases, as well as organizing and conducting press conferences and seminars to present the Bank's views on major economic, political, social and financial issues and problems in Africa.
12. Producing bulletins, information circulars, as well as other publications on Bank activities for regular circulation to all staff, so as to enhance understanding of Management's objectives and initiatives.
13. Providing advice and assistance required for formulating Bank policies and plans on the design, implementation and dissemination of the Bank's information products and coordinating the publishing and distribution services for printed and electronic publications of the Bank; and
14. Implementing the Bank's information disclosure policy and ensuring that information about the Bank reaches its various audiences through the appropriate channels.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Competencies: (skills, knowledge and experience)
1. At least a Master's degree or equivalent in Communications or any related field.
2. Preferably a minimum of 10 years of relevant and progressive experience (4 years of which has been in a managerial position) in senior mass communications fields (corporate, non-profit and/or foundation) including public relations, journalism, marketing or related areas, with demonstrated stability and sustained commitment in previous position(s).
3. Knowledge of the media and ability to work well with representatives from different sectors of the media.
4. Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to implement and monitor mass communication programmes and campaigns.
5. Media relations training and experience, with the ability to detect and monitor emerging media interest in a matter and manage issues of media interest that affect the Bank and its diverse audiences.
6. Exceptional writing, editing, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, with a portfolio demonstrating published works and high-level creative, thoughtful and polished printed communications collateral.
7. Understanding of and experience with various media software tools.
8. Strong attention to detail.
9. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
10. Ability to communicate and write effectively in French and/or English, with a strong command of the other language.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.