Background SNV in Zambia has a strong Agricultural portfolio, with projects and reputation in Dairy, Honey, Rice and Nutrition-sensitive Agriculture and Climate-smart agriculture. In addition to ensuring the management of the SILMS project, the successful candidate will need to support the country to grow the Agriculture sector over time so should have a good round knowledge of agricultural development in order to support business development. The successful candidate will serve as the Project Manager on the SIDA-funded SILMS project, but additionally has a small role (10%) on overseeing the TICBAS project (AFDB-funded) that looks at developing Sanitary and Phyto-Sanitary Systems in Zambia and runs until the end of March 2017.
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation seeks to fill the following position:
PROJECT MANAGER AGRICULTURE
Based in Lusaka, Zambia
SILMS Project Summary
SILMS is a market-based approach to increase incomes for smallholder farmers through adoption of the sustainable land management practices of Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM), Agroforestry and Deforestation-free Supply Chains. Our approach combines climate change mitigation with agricultural adaption strategies and is based on in-depth understanding of the dynamics that have prevented a wider uptake of sustainable land management practices by small holder farmers in spite of dwindling productivity and widespread demonstration of techniques such as Conservation Farming in Zambia.
The key to the success and sustainability of this project is our market-based approach whichincentivises smallholders to adopt sustainable production practices through increased income generation. At the same time the approach enables small holders to increase their production in a sustainable manner through increased access to modern farm inputs; extension services; finance and markets. The increased income will incentivise small holder farmers to adopt integrated soil fertility management, agro forestry and deforestation-free production. The increased availability of market-based services enables them to continue to use these sustainable land management practices even after the end of the project.
In parallel to implementing these agricultural adaptation activities in value chains such as groundnut, soya and beans, SNV will also pilot our globally-tested Deforestation Free Supply Chain approach in the cotton landscape to mitigate further deforestation and degradation. SNV’s Deforestation Free Supply Chain approach will work with processors who are driven by the global demand for products that are supplied without damage to the environment, to commit to improved production practices.
Overview of the Position
The Project Manager has responsibility for overall management of the project which includes: technical oversight and guidance of project activities; efficient management of financial resources; review and approval of project budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations, administration, logistics and procurement; supervision of monitoring and evaluation; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required by the grant and donors. S/he will ensure full compliance with all donor and other fiduciary regulations and will oversee the project reporting process in line with donor requirements. S/he will oversee performance management of all project staff working exclusively in his/her project.
This position reports to the Country Director and collaborates with the Country Management Team.
- Project Strategy: provide technical and strategic direction and guidance to the project and its partners at national and sub-national level;
- Human and Financial Resources: efficient management of human and financial resources; ensure effective coordination of project activities with project teams, review and approve project budgets and monitor expenditures;
- Monitoring and Evaluation: ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables, develop and maintain a baseline and monitoring plan and business score card; account and report to SNV, donor and clients on project performance;
- Networking and Relation Management: build and maintain relationship with project stakeholders, including ministries, private sector, investors and partners;
- Operational Support: provide operational guidance and support to project activities, including developing work plans, budgets and competence table within financial responsibilities and mandates;
- Knowledge development: guide knowledge development, documentation and communication and branding in close collaboration with the donor and country team;
- Business Development: Identify follow-up funding and partnership possibilities with country management and business development.
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture; Ag Economics; or related subject;
- Ten (10) years or more of progressively responsible work experience in managing and implementing multi-faceted, agriculture development programmes, with direct experience in Africa;
- Proven abilities in managing development projects in Agriculture;
- Proactive and entrepreneurial to explore and develop innovative approaches;
- Visionary and able to strategically inspire and energise project teams operating in the whole country;
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments, the private sector and civil society;
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills and experience working in a matrix organisation;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills; and
- Willingness to travel to all project locations and spend at least 40% in the field visiting and overseeing project works and sites.
Languages: Fluent written and spoken English
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension
Salary: SNV offers a competitive salary and secondary benefits
Expected Start Date: 28 March 2016
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation to our online CV database by clicking onhttps://snv.devhire.devex.com/jobs/332603 before 19 February 2016.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted