- Position title: Consultant – Learning and Communications Specialist, CHRM.3
- Grade: NA
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: CHRM.3/16/042
- Publication date: 18/02/2016
- Closing date: 28/02/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The Bank’s Ten Year Strategy (TYS) 2013-2022 as refined by the Five Priority Areas (the Hi-5s delivery foci) aim to position the Bank ‘at the center of Africa’s transformation’ and also transform the Bank into a Knowledge Broker and Learning Hub for Africa. To enhance staff engagement the Bank has a People’s Strategy which guides the facilitation of Employee Engagement Index between the Management and Staff. The People Strategy has 4 pillars: i) Leadership; ii) Staff Engagement and Communications; iii) Performance and Accountability and iv) Workforce of Future. These have led to the expansion of the role of learning in the Bank to ensure that developed internal capacity responds to the business needs of the Bank. To support this effort, the Bank aims to launch a structured Learning framework composed of learning menus that will enhance staff knowledge and skills to deliver on the Bank’s business that impacts the Regional Member Countries (RMCs). The internal learning foci are to:
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of Bank staff that will enable delivery of the Bank’s business.
- Ensure symmetric knowledge and skills alignment of staff that will impact delivery to the RMCs.
- Strengthen the knowledge capabilities and capacities of official representatives of the Bank.
- Update and improve the knowledge and skills of staff to enable delivery on the Hi-5s; the TYS and other Bank strategies in appropriate and defined sequence and requirements.
- Build the internal knowledge, capabilities and capacities of staff that will enable the Bank transform into a Knowledge Broker and Learning Hub for Africa.
- Strengthen cross-generational learning for the sustainability of the Bank.
- Building a critical mass of knowledge that will turn the Bank into a market place of ideas.
- Enable transversal leadership skills that will support the Bank’s emergence as a preferred employer and an employer of choice for people working on the development of Africa. To ensure effective buildup of leadership skills in the Bank, the Leadership programs will be delivered in four main streams: i) Executive Dialogues and Retreats; ii) Leadership and Management Development Program; iii) Emerging Leadership Program and iv) Management Foundation Program.
- Codification and transmission of knowledge products that will enable the Bank emerge as the preferred partner for Africa’s development.
In this context, the Human Resources (HR) Policy, Programs and Policy Division of the Corporate Human Resources Department (CHRM) aims to engage an individual Learning and Communications consultant that will support the Chief Learning and Development Officer in the delivery of learning foci in the Bank.
One of the primero responsibilities of the consultant will be to work with the Chief Learning and Development Officer to finalize the Bank’s Learning Strategy that will guide the delivery of the Bank’s business as captured in the TYS and refined by the Hi-5s.
The consultant will also work closely with the Chief Learning and Development Officer to ensure that there is seamless collaboration and interaction between the Learning Section and the Bank; and that all learning menus that will enable the delivery of the AfDB Learning Framework are developed within specified timelines and available resources.
The role requires strategic and strong learning design capabilities, knowledge management, project management, instructional design, collaboration, communications and teamwork skills. The consultant shall have the ability to deliver to defined quality, set time scales; and should operate a feed-back loop to enable him/her to track and report on activities undertaken and impacts achieved.
Duties and responsibilities
I. Strategic support to Learning delivery:
The consultant working closely with the Chief Learning and Development Officer will be required to deliver on the following duties, tasks and responsibilities.
- Engage actively with the development of the Bank’s Learning Strategy.
- Engage actively with finalizing the e-induction content development to enable publication on the Knowledge and Learning Management System (KLMS).
- Engage actively in the tracking and delivery of services that will support the implementation of the AfDB framework using a project-management approach and agreed upon tools.
- Support the planning, design and implementation of top quality learning and training events and campaigns.
- Launch events, and/or other dissemination engagements in promoting learning in the Bank through sustained and effective communication.
- Support in advising clients (Human Resources Business Partners (HRBPs) Complexes, Department, Regional Centers and Field offices) on the best strategies and tactics to enhance capacity development of staff.
- Support the selection of relevant communications, learning, knowledge systems and products that will enable capacity enhancement in the Bank.
- Support sustained accountability for the quality and impact of the products and services created or delivered.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the learning section to ensure seamless delivery of services to clients.
- Support the adequate prioritization, sequencing and delivery of the Bank’s Whole Office Learning Plan (WOLP) within time and cost.
- Assist with write-ups /update procedural documentation and provide quality assurance for all learning communication products.
- Develop and up-date communications strategies and materials for the Learning Team.
- Support the glocalization and adaptation of global learning products to address the Bank’s business foci.
II. Support to Leadership development and Change Management:
- Support the development and enhancement of relevant leadership and development interventions, programs, events, products and guidance.
- Support the delivery of the Leadership development initiatives and monitor and evaluate Bank wide emerging leadership behaviors as depicted in the results of the staff survey and other Bank surveys in collaboration with the relevant HR officers.
- Design a feedback process for improving required leadership capabilities.
- Support the development of leadership learning packs that will enable alignment to the Bank’s Core Values and vision
- Support the Review of current and future capability with regard to emerging leadership behaviors and prepare reports and recommendations for refinement or other adaptable approaches to enhance leadership compliance.
- Support the maintenance of an overview of best practices in respect of leadership and development issues;
- Undertake benchmarking and comparative analysis of other sister organizations to improve the quality of leadership learning menus in the Bank.
- Support the development and launch of Leadership dialogues, Brown Bag sessions, exchange programs and study tours that will enhance rotational programs for continuous growth and succession planning.
- Identify potential people-side risks and anticipated points to change resistance, and develop specific plans to mitigate and address the concerns.
- Conduct readiness assessments of leadership programs in the Bank, evaluate results and present findings in a logical and easy-to-understand manner.
- Support the monitoring and delivery of leadership development programs; monitor continuous improvements of each program to ensure Value for Money (VfM).
- Consult with HRBPs, senior business leaders & other key stakeholders to perform periodic learning needs analysis and evaluations.
- Support the creation and measurement systems to track adoption, utilization and proficiency of individual changes due to the delivered leadership learning menus.
- Support the creation and enablement of reinforcement mechanisms and celebrations of transformational leadership successes.
- Support the application of a structured change management approach and methodology to enable staff adaptation to change management in all aspects of professional spectrum.
- Support the development of a change management strategy based on a situational awareness of the details of the change and the groups being impacted by the change.
- Support the design and implementation of partnership models that will enable Partnership with other organizational leaders to ensure integration of core talent programs, curriculum and concepts into improving the professional and personal development of staff.
- Partner with HRBPs, other learning and training officers and OD specialists in the formulation of particular learning and training plans, activities and events that will enable capacity enhancement of staff.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Communications, Business Development, Organizational Development, Learning and Development or Adult Education.
- Minimum of 10 plus years related experience as captured in duties above, similar assignment /function/roles.
- Strong background in communications and learning (organizational development/learning).
- Strong report writing skills.
- Experience in developing communications and marketing materials, managing events, and using a variety of outreach strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrable track record of designing and implementing strategies; delivering results through enterprise wide learning programs.
- Extensive experience in the design and implementation of sequenced enterprise wide Leadership and Management Development Programs.
- Practical experience managing intensive talent development and leadership review processes.
- Knowledgeable in adult learning theory and evidence of using it to design and implement innovative development solutions that translate into action learning.
- Highly accomplished presenter; able to deliver succinct messages, enroll & garner commitment from senior leaders across the Bank in both formal and informal settings.
- Demonstrated track record of aligning learning strategies and programs to business strategy, and realizing measurable business impact (metrics, level 4 evaluations, quantifying ROI on Learning initiatives)
- Demonstrated skills and experience in project management, client relationship management and stakeholder outreach
- Ability to toggle between strategy development & tactical execution measuring impact of learning on the Bank’s business.
- Tolerance of ambiguity; able to chart a way forward even when the path is not very clear.
- Results orientated, resourceful with in-depth ability to overcome challenges.
- Excellent relationship-building, communications and team working skills.
- Advanced IT skills with Web and graphic design capabilities are required.
- Adherence to the Bank’s Core Values and Code of conduct. Adherence to these Core Values and the Code of Conduct are necessary requirements for this job. If there is noticed diversion from these standards at any point in the engagement; the Bank will severe all relationship with the consultant without any encumbrances on the part of the Bank.
How to Apply
Applicants will only be considered if they submit a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) demonstrating relevant qualifications and experience and are registered in the AfDB’s DACON System (www.afdb.org). Candidates should submit their applications, indicating the Vacancy Notice number “Consultant/CHRM.3/16/042” in the Subject line of their email to: The Chief Learning and Development Officer, CHRM.3: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org No acknowledgement of e-mails will be made and candidates should not follow-up their applications.