- Position title: Consultant – Communications, Outreach and Resource Mobilization (NEPAD-IPPF)
- Grade: N/A
- Position N°: N/A
- Reference: Consultant/NEPAD-IPPF/16/01
- Publication date: 07/03/2016
- Closing date: 21/03/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The NEPAD Infrastructure Project Preparation Facility (NEPAD-IPPF) is a multi-donor Trust Fund established in 2005 and hosted by the African Development Bank (AfDB) supported by a number of Development Partners. The mission of the NEPAD-IPPF is to mobilize resources to support the preparation of bankable regional infrastructure projects in line with the priorities of the Regional Member Countries (RMCs), the African Union Commission (AUC) and the NEPAD Planning and Coordination Agency (NPCA), Regional Economic Communities (RECs) as well as specialised Infrastructure Institutions such as Power Pools, River Basin Organizations and Corridor Authorities NEPAD-IPPF among others. Its focus is on the preparation and development of regional infrastructure projects in the key infrastructure sectors of Energy, Transport, ICT and Trans-boundary water to move these projects to financing and implementation to achieve the development outcomes of integration of the continent to accelerate socio-economic transformation and improve quality of lives.
NEPAD-IPPF has just developed a new Strategic Business Plan (SBP) covering the five-year period, 2016-2020 and the successful implementation of this Strategy requires that the Facility has adequate capacity in terms of skills and competencies to effectively implement this Strategy to achieve set objectives and targets. NEPAD-IPPF’s new business model is to ensure that projects prepared by the Facility are better aligned to the needs of project financiers and developers so as to mobilize investment financing for implementation. This not entails not only more visibility for NEPAD-IPPF, but also enhanced outreach and resource mobilisation efforts to support NEPAD-IPPF activities.
Duties and responsibilities
NEPAD-IPPF therefore requires the services of a Long-term Consultant – Communications, Outreach and Resource Mobilisation. The Consultant should have practical, hands on experience in communication, working with partners and resource mobilisation.
The Consultant will work under the general supervision of the NEPAD-IPPF Division Manager or his/her Designee. He/she is expected to carry out the following key duties / responsibilities:
- Provide expert advice on issues related to communication, engagement with partners and resource mobilisation to support the work of NEPAD-IPPF in the energy/power sector including oil and gas; trans-boundary water; transport and ICT;
- Manage the NEPAD-IPPF website (www.nepadippf.org) as a versatile and powerful communication tool to inform stakeholders within Africa and globally on the activities on NEPAD-IPPF and the AfDB in general;
- Enhance the use of social media as a tool to communicate and engage with stakeholders on the work of NEPAD-IPPF on an interactive basis;
- From project reports and other work of NEPAD-IPPF, distil key messages and prepare information briefs and briefing documents targeted at different stakeholders within and outside Africa; and at various levels – Heads of State and Government; Policy Makers; Private Sector and for varying Forums and audiences;
- Monitor and report effectively on the development impact of NEPAD-IPPF prepared projects and ensure pro-active engagement with beneficiaries and stakeholders through the project development cycle;
- Engage effectively with NEPAD-IPPF stakeholders including RMCs, RECs, development partners supporting NEPAD-IPPF and others to ensure that they are well informed, involved and engaged in NEPAD-IPPF activities;
- Identify and mobilize alternative financing sources for NEPAD-IPPF work including additional development partners; contributions from African countries and institutions such as regional development banks, pension funds, trust funds, foundations among others;
- Propose innovative measures and modalities for enhanced resource and investment mobilisation to support NEPAD-IPPF activities and projects;
- Undertake studies and analysis to demonstrate value for money in engaging potential contributors to NEPAD-IPPF;
- Help to the strengthen coordination and dialogue and negotiations with development partners, beneficiaries, project financiers and developers, and other stakeholders on planning, policies, governance, and policy reforms in infrastructure project development and financing;
- Prepare briefs, papers, statements, speeches and various reports on issues related to the work of NEPAD-IPPF as may be required from time to time and participate in conferences, workshops, and training seminars on issues related to project preparation and development and infrastructure in general; and
- Undertake other relevant tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Communications, Public Administration, International Development, Mass Media; Journalism;
- A minimum of ten (10) years relevant professional experience in (i) communications and media (ii) specific and sound knowledge of the African development landscape (iii) demonstrable experience managing partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders (iv) Experience in resource mobilisation for development activities;
- Proven ability to interact competently with Governments, RECs and other regional and national organizations / institutions, donor agencies as well as private sector on issues relating to aid coordination, development and financing;
- Ability to design, coordinate and lead Media events and generate media and corporate products;
- Proven ability to lead technical professional teams and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way to achieve desired objectives;
- Good networking skills and proven experience and track-record in dealing with project sponsors, developers, financiers public and private sector stakeholders and civil society;
- Knowledge of socio-economic and environmental issues surrounding infrastructure projects and experience in dealing with NGOs;
- Good listening and communication skills with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions including capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change;
- Competence in the use of standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access);
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French. A good working knowledge of the other language is an added advantage.