- Position title: Principal legal counsel – Regional resource centre, GECL.0
- Grade: PL-4
- Position N°: 50068934
- Reference: ADB/16/047
- Publication date: 08/03/2016
- Closing date: 26/03/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The principal objective of the Legal Services Department (GECL) is to protect the interests of the Bank. In this connection, the Department provides legal services required by the entities constituting the Bank Group, and ensures that the Bank Group’s activities and operations are consistent with its constitutive documents and other applicable legal texts, as well as applicable law. The Bank’s Regional Resource Centres were established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and regional Governments, development partners, the private sector, and the civil society, in the design of its development policy and programs, as well as on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of transactions, projects and programs financed by the Bank, the African Development Fund (ADF) and other special vehicles such as trust funds and special funds (together, the “Bank Group”).
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the General Counsel, the Principal Legal Counsel will perform the following activities in connection with the operational and administrative activities of the Bank Group:
- Draft, review, negotiate and provide legal opinion on agreements, contracts and other formal arrangements for operational activities of the Bank Group with members and non-member countries, private sector entities, international organizations and governmental and non-governmental entities;
- Provide legal assistance for loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants and relatedoperations of the Bank Group, throughout the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and post-evaluation stages;
- Assist in the design of projects and programs from inception to completion in compliance with the Bank’s policies, rules, and guidelines as well as minimize risks that may impede the achievement of desirable outcomes;
- Participate in meetings and provide legal support to project teams including the structure of the project, type of financing instruments, terms of financing, implementation arrangements and compliance with the relevant Bank Group applicable policies, rules and regulations;
- Negotiate, draft or amend loan, equity investment, grant, guarantee and other financing and co-financing agreements with other multilateral and bilateral financial institutions;
- Provide legal opinions on the entry into force and execution of such agreements and arrangements, including the review of legal and operational documents submitted in fulfilment of loan and grant conditions;
- Provide legal support and technical assistance to regional member countries and to regional and sub-regional institutions in connection with matters pertaining to the purpose, functions and activities of the Bank and to developmental issues and activities;
- Provide legal assistance for the drafting of operational policies, directives and instructions of the Bank Group;
- Draft, revise or amend and submit to the Board of Directors of the Bank and the Fund resolutions pertaining to projects and programs and other operational matters;
- Participate in project and program appraisal missions and review project concept notes, project appraisal reports and other internal Bank project documents;
- Liaise and collaborate with staff in operations, finance and environmental and social departments to develop appropriate terms and conditions for each financing transaction, ensuring compliance with Bank’s policies;
- Advise on various administrative and human resources management matters, including the drafting, reviewing and amending of contracts and legal documents and advising on legal questions relating to administrative and personnel matters affecting the Regional Resource Centre; and
- Undertake such other assignments as required in furtherance of GECL's mandate.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with a relevant combination of academic qualification in law e.g. Juris Doctor (JD) and with admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries;
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience, preferably with an established international law firm, or an international financial institution with proven technical competence and experience in development law;
- Knowledge in the current trend of developments and familiarity with international law, and related matters with international organizations;
- Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including briefs and legal opinions and negotiation of complex projects and programmes and other transactions of a similar nature;
- Demonstrated communication, team building, inter-personal, writing and analytical skills;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications; knowledge of SAP is a plus;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French. Working knowledge of the second language will be an advantage.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.