- Position title: Principal transport economist, OITC.1
- Grade: PL-4
- Position N°: 50068503
- Reference: ADB/16/045
- Publication date: 08/03/2016
- Closing date: 28/03/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The Transport and ICT Department provides assistance to the Bank Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in the form of loans and grants to finance transport projects and programs; and non-lending knowledge products to formulate and implement transport sector policies and strategies, and sector reforms to ensure best practices are mainstreamed in sector policy, planning, programming, institutional governance, and maintenance and operation.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, the Principal Transport Economist will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the identification, preparation, appraisal, and implementation supervision of transport projects and programs such as Roads/Highways, Airports, Railways, Ports and Waterways, and Public Transit Systems.
- Support the development of appropriate transport policies and strategies at both national and regional levels, in consultation with relevant government agencies, development partners, and other stakeholders.
- Promote the adoption of technological innovations, institutional/governance setups, financial frameworks, rules and regulations, and commercial practices incorporating private sector participation in transport projects.
- Lead Analytical and Advisory Activities and conduct ESW to inform and underpin the downstream intervention of the Bank in project and program design in the transport sector.
- Lead all aspects related to demand and supply analysis, regulatory assessments, and economic and financial analysis during project preparation and appraisal.
- Contribute to efforts in knowledge management to ensure best practices and lessons learned related to transport management, climate change, and institutional/governance approaches are reflected in transport operations
- Conduct policy dialogue with the government in advancing policy, regulatory and institutional reforms in the transport sector, especially in the areas market reforms, deregulation, and privatization of transport infrastructure and services.
- Participate in and contribute to country programming activities and ensure that appropriate projects and programs are adequately reflected in the resultant country programming documents.
- Collaborate with other development partners in the transport sector for consistency and harmonization of approach, exchange of experience, partnership and co-financing where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base in the transport sector, keeping abreast of the latest developments.
- Contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around transport sector issues.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree (or its equivalent) in Economics, Transport Economics, Public Policy, or related fields.
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in the transport sector with proven ability to work on (a) policy, institutional and regulatory aspects of transport projects and programs, (b) economic and financial analysis of transport projects including railways, sea port and airports, (c) privatization, deregulation, and competition in transport services, (d) transportation market reforms.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AfDB or similar MDBs operational policies and procedures as they relate to country programming, project design and processing, procurement, and environmental and social safeguards.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a group of professionals to deliver projects and programs in an effective and efficient way;
- Competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP) and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint); with good knowledge of technical tools and software for transport project appraisals.
- High level communication and negotiation skills with excellent written and verbal communications in English. A working knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.