- Position title: Principal transport engineer (2 positions), OITC1 & OITC2
- Grade: PL-4
- Position N°: 50070803 / 50062525
- Reference: ADB/16/046
- Publication date: 08/03/2016
- Closing date: 28/03/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The Transport and ICT Department provides assistance to the Bank Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in the form of loans and grants to finance transport projects and programs; and non-lending knowledge products to formulate and implement transport sector policies and strategies, and sector reforms to ensure best practices are mainstreamed in policy, planning, programming, institutional governance, and maintenance and operation.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, the Principal Transport Engineer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the identification, preparation, appraisal, and implementation supervision of transport projects and programs such as Roads/Highways, Airports, Railways, Ports and Waterways, and Public Transit Systems.
- Support the development of appropriate transport policies and strategies at both national and regional levels, in consultation with relevant government agencies, development partners, and other stakeholders.
- Promote the adoption of technological innovations, institutional/governance setups, financial frameworks, rules and regulations, and commercial practices incorporating private sector participation in urban transport projects.
- Lead Analytical and Advisory Activities and conduct ESW to inform and underpin the downstream intervention of the Bank in project and program design in the transport sector.
- Supervise Bank’s financed projects; play a key role in following up the progress of projects; supervise and monitor procurement activities for goods, works and services in accordance with Bank’s rules; review the submissions from the Borrowers, including tender lists, bidding documents, bid evaluation reports, award recommendation and contracts documents; study and analyze data submitted by borrower; verify and approve contracts for disbursement of funds.
- Manage fiduciary responsibilities including procurement, and ensuring compliance with the Bank guidelines and the provisions of loans and grants agreements.
- Contribute to efforts in knowledge management to ensure best practices and lessons learned related to transport management, climate change, and institutional/governance approaches are reflected in transport operations.
- Conduct policy dialogue with the government in advancing policy and institutional reforms in the transport sector, especially in the areas of Planning, Programming, Governance, Regulations, asset management/maintenance, and Private Sector Participation.
- Participate in and contribute to country programming activities and ensure that appropriate projects and programs are adequately reflected in the resultant country programming documents.
- Collaborate with other development partners in the transport sector for consistency and harmonization of approach, exchange of experience, partnership and co-financing where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base in the transport sector, keeping abreast of the latest developments.
- Contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around transport sector issues.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Civil or Transportation Engineering.
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in the transport sector with proven ability to work on (a) policy, institutional and financing aspects of transport projects, (b) road and other transport infrastructure construction and maintenance including railways, sea port and airports, (c) contract management and procurement, (d) planning and programming of capital and maintenance works.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AfDB or similar MDBs operational policies and procedures as they relate to country programming, project design and processing, procurement, and environmental and social safeguards.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a group of professionals to deliver projects and programs in an effective and efficient way;
- Competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP) and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint); with good knowledge of technical tools and software for transport project appraisals.
- High level communication and negotiation skills with excellent written and verbal communications in English. A working knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.