DFID Recovery Lending Project Manager
This grant-funded role at VisionFund reports to the VFI Global Insurance Director based in London and there will also be extensive reporting required to the donors involved. This is a senior role that requires a highly experienced micro-finance leader with strong project and product experience. The work will involve strong project leadership and management of many stakeholders. The overall purpose is to develop our recovery lending practices while supporting over 10,000 families to deal with the impacts of floods and droughts. This is a key role in an innovative program with $3.2m in grant funding and impacting over 30,000 beneficiaries; making this the largest recovery lending program of its type in the world. This strategic role requires an experienced (ideally >10yrs) microfinance professional with the technical and project management skills to drive a program of recovery projects in at least three countries: Kenya, Malawi and Zambia.
- Developing policies, product(s) and processes to implement recovery lending in each country. Develops practical micro-insurance products. Integrates new products into VFI operations smoothly.
- Ensuring timely flow of funds to the MFI and onto clients to meet their needs.
- Producing and monitoring projections and reporting disbursements and collections for recovery lending.
- Facilitating external evaluation of the impact of the recovery lending program.
- Ensuring the returnable grant is repaid and refinanced.
Project/program management of a highly technical international project:
- Running a well functioning delivery team whilst interacting effectively with a very diverse range of stakeholders including clients, staff, business and legal advisors, private sector partners and government authorities in 3 countries
- Meeting the needs of the donor for project control, reporting and evidencing of positive economic impact in disaster prone environments.
- Application of strong project management techniques to drive the project forward as defined by Donors, World Vision and VisionFund.
- Integration of Financial Disaster Risk Management products in to the operational processes, IT systems and training delivery supporting staff and clients to engage efficiently and effective.
- Developing and then leading the implementation and integration of the design into VisionFund’s existing operations.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- The role requires a high degree of business knowledge combined with first rate managerial capabilities.
- Data driven analysis involving both quantitative and qualitative information will allow effective direction and evaluation of the project so this is an aspect of required knowledge and experience.
- Professional level education in microfinance with some emphasis on product development or equivalent experience/knowledge gained in a work situation (eg as a senior microfinance professional) for over 5 years (ideally over 10 years).
- Trained in project/program/product management (preferably in a microfinance context) or experienced manager with a proven track record in project delivery in microfinance for over 5 years.
- Good inter-personal and cross cultural skills to manage a very diverse stakeholder group.
- Highly numerate and proficient in the use of spreadsheet models.
- Strong report writing skills, especially in the context of grant compliance.
- Experienced independent leader with a strong client focus and excellent diplomatic skills.
- Proven ability as a hands-on project manager in the field.
- No license is required although many regulators will seek comfort of sufficient skill, experience. and training for those providing microfinance solutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English including for donor reports.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 70% of the time. This will be largely in Zambia, Kenya and Malawi. If the jobholder is not located in one of those countries, travel could add up to more.
- Track record of successful project implementations.
- Track record of donor-funded project implementation.
- Experience of the implementation of new microfinance products.
- Experience of dealing with microfinance clients.
- Over 10 years in microfinance roles.
- Experience of the development of microfinance products for individuals.