The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out high quality, policy relevant research on population, health, education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. The Center seeks to recruit aResearch Officer, with excellent qualitative skills and a working knowledge of quantitative skills or excellent quantitative skills and a working knowledge of qualitative skills to work within its Education Research Program.The ideal candidate should have strong interest in education research.
- Lead the process of obtaining ethical approval
- Develop study tools, training manuals and field guides to use for data collection
- Coordinate the recruitment, training and supervision of field team
- Coordinate field work and be responsible for data quality
- Mobilize and educate the community in relation to the research project
- Participate in the development of research proposals
- Conduct literature review and participate in writing scientific papers
- Prepare regular field and project reports
- Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences
- Prepare policy briefs and fact sheets from the projects’ findings
- Other duties as required.
- Masters degree in any of the following: Education, Sociology, Economics, Statistics, Anthropology, Psychology, Developmental Studies or in other related social sciences
- At least 3 years’ post qualification experience, preferably in a research setting
- Good computer literacy and knowledge of multiple statistical and/or qualitative software packages such as STATA, SPSS or NVivo
- Experience conducting field research preferably in schooling and education settings, and managing a research team
- Excellent oral and written communication in English
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal http://jobs.aphrc.orgby 25th March 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Cover letter should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi