- Position title: Consultant – Senior Business Continuity/Crisis Management (SACS)
- Grade: N/A
- Position N°: N/A
- Reference: Consultant/SACS/16/065
- Publication date: 20/04/2016
- Closing date: 05/05/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The Bank’s Ten Year Strategy (TYS) 2013-2022 as refined by the Five Priority Areas (the Hi-5s delivery foci) aim to position the Bank ‘at the center of Africa’s transformation’ and also transform the Bank into a Knowledge Broker and Learning Hub for Africa. To enhance staff engagement the Bank has a People’s Strategy which guides the facilitation of Employee Engagement Index between the Management and Staff. The People Strategy has 4 pillars: i) Leadership; ii) Staff Engagement and Communications; iii) Performance and Accountability and iv) Workforce of Future. The People Strategy will ensure that the Bank maintains the work environment and cadre of top quality staff that has the necessary skills, focus training and commitment to deliver on the Bank’s ambitious agenda for Africa as presented in its Long Term Strategy (LTS).
As staff are at the heart of the work carried out by the Bank, it aims to provide a coherent framework and an agenda that responds to the many people challenges that need to be addressed on an ongoing basis to allow the Bank to realise its people vision and its commitment to being the Employer of Choice in Africa. It aspires to create a gender-responsive and people friendly work environment which in turn will help it retain its highly productive workforce, and enable it to effectively discharge the development mandate, the enhancement of existing and introduction of new family friendly programs is imperative.
In this context, AfDB has established an on-going Business Continuity Management program (BCM) with the objective of sustaining and enhancing the corporation’s resiliency in the face of events that have the potential to disrupt its operations. SACS is responsible for establishing, maintaining and coordinating the BCM program overall. This includes supporting all BCM efforts at HQ and across the Bank’s network of more than 26 Field Offices (FOs) around Africa, in collaboration with the other Bank’s corporate service functions (Information Technology, Staff Safety Security)
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the BCP Manager and working in conjunction with other members of Units and Divisions involved in the BCM Program, the Business Continuity/Crisis Management Consultant duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to assist the BCP Team and contribute to:
- People and their competencies are key components of the continuity of the Bank’s business. The Bank will undergo an organizational structure adjustment that will necessary impact on the BC strategy as it may affect how the Bank will be organized to deliver its day to mandate in terms of people and processes, and more particularly during business disruption events. The Consultant is therefore required to participate and assist the BCP team to conduct Bank wide Business Impact Analysis (BIA) exercise in order to re-.determine/update the critical processes, activities, resources necessary to cope with business disruptions taking into account the Bank’s new business delivery model and the organizational structure changes. The BIA will help to identify, quantify and qualify the impacts resulting from business disruption events, and establish critical functions and, their recovery requirements and priorities (RTO, RPO). The scope will be the Bank’s processes, Departments, FOs and RRCs affected by the structure change of all functional areas at all its locations.
- Perform/update the Bank Group wide business disruption risks and impacts assessments, using appropriate risk analysis methodologies and tools, to determine the threats, external surroundings, and points of vulnerabilities that can adversely affect the Bank’s staff, facilities and systems across all its locations (HQ in Abidjan, and in all the Country Offices). Establish and recommend mitigation controls needed to prevent or minimise the effects of potential loss.
- Using the outcome so the above the consultant will assist the Bank’s in adjusting and updating the BCP strategy for OCC clearance and ECC for endorsement before submission to CHAR for approval if new resources are required. The strategy will take into account the return to HQ, changes that occurred in the IT (relocation to HQ), new IT systems being rolled out for department’s processes automation, the Bank’s new business delivery model, the organizational changes, including any necessary BCP facilities adjustments. The strategy will be articulated in alignment BCP ISO standard 22301
- The Bank has offered to organize and host the second MDB’s (World Bank, IMF, IDB, EBRD, UN, AfDB, etc.) BCP Forum meeting in September 2016 at HQ or at the BC site in Pretoria. The consultant will assist the Bank’s BCP team in articulating the forum Agenda, Themes, Meetings and Organization of the events.
(The MDB’s BCP FORUM Members meet physically in 2015, at the World Bank in Washington to establish a BCP Forum, which aim to promote a private working environment for collaborating and sharing practices within the business continuity community among IFIs. The objectives of the group are (i) Transfer of best practices. Share experiences on crisis management and business continuity to address current frameworks, methods, implementation challenges and lessons learned; (ii) Innovate new frameworks and methodologies. Develop and share a standard business continuity approach to help produce effective and efficient business continuity plans and procedures for each organization, (iii) Commit genuine interest on business continuity management within our organizations. Signal to our communities the value of managing business continuity risks.)
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Masters/Engineering degree in a relevant discipline plus a minimum of 10 years work experience in business continuity management, information security and emergency management in financial/banking institutions
- Strong track record and practical experience in developing and implementing BCM programs in international organizations banking environment including:
- Project planning, wide BCP/BCM risk impact assessments and analysis
- Formulation and maintenance of business continuity strategies and plans.
- Practical experience in managing real emergencies/crisis and business disruptions.
- Good track record in the development of strategies, policies and procedures in information security and Disaster Recovery technologies and solutions
- Advanced proficiency in Windows/Unix based applications and related contingency and recovery technologies and fully familiar with banking sector major information systems (SAP, SWIFT, REUTERS, Bloomberg, SUMMIT) to support the implementation of IT/DR requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience in interfacing with a multicultural staff at all levels within the organization, and ability to develop and facilitate productive business relationships.
- Strong understanding of international organisation multicultural cultural diversity, business operating models, business processes, and technical systems.
- Good experience in recommending solutions and managing large scale projects.
- Good experience in developing and delivering training and conducting workshops related to BCM.
- Relevant experience in budget planning, procurement of goods and services contract negotiations related to information systems areas in general information security and BCM areas specifically
- Team builder/motivator. Ability to work and integrate with teams comprised of individuals inside and outside of direct reporting relationships through coaching, influence, negotiation, and collaboration skills.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Business Continuity Planner Certification (ABCP/CBCP) or equivalent accreditation.
- Fully familiar with industry standard BCM Planning models, tools and techniques such as ISO 22301.
- Experience in dealing with external parties such as public emergency responders, facilities and recovery services providers.
- Good understanding of AfDB’s mission, business process, drivers, and operations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills both in English and French for facilitating the implement the program in AfDB County Offices where one of the language may be a concern for local staff.
- Experience in using BCM planning, collaboration/document management and project management tools.
How to Apply : Applicants will only be considered if they submit a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) demonstrating relevant qualifications and experience and are registered in the AfDB’s DACON System (www.afdb.org). Candidates should submit their applications, indicating the Vacancy Notice number “Consultant/SACS/16/065” in the Subject line of their email to: Lead Business Continuity Management Officer, SACS:J.BAYALA@AFDB.ORG copying G.N-DIAYE@AFDB.ORG. No acknowledgement of e-mails will be made and candidates should not follow-up their applications.