OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
TEAM PURPOSES: This post sits in the Programme Quality (PQ) Team and supports on PMEL to market-based livelihoods programmes managed by Economic Justice (EJ) team. Both of these teams are a part of Oxfam’s Programme Strategy and Innovations Team (PSIT).
The PQ team’s purpose is to support Oxfam to improve programme quality and impact, and strengthen its contribution to transformational change. The team supports: programme design and proposal development; adaptive management of programmes throughout implementation; and ensuring that the impacts of programmes are honestly assessed and available to inform good practice within Oxfam and the wider Confederation. The Programme Quality team is a part of Oxfam’s Programme Strategy and Innovations Team (PSIT).
The EJ team helps deliver on Oxfam’s country and multi-country programmes in agricultural markets and natural resources. The team provides management and coordination of a number of multi-country programmes, including the Gendered Enterprise and Markets (GEM) programme which this role will primarily support on. The team also includes a number of global advisors in the fields of market development, enterprise development, climate and resilience, and women’s economic empowerment focussed on agriculture.
Provide high quality planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning advisory services to enhance the quality of Oxfam’s Gendered Enterprise and Markets (GEM) programme, sharing learning to enable further improvements in Oxfam’s global programmes on market-based livelihoods.
As part of the Programme Management Unit, the job-holder will work with the GEM Coordinator and a number of core country projects to improve overall programme quality. Initially, the role will be focused on engagement with 3 countries (Bangladesh, Tajikistan, Zambia) who manage projects funded by a multi-year grant. There is scope for the role to contribute (and grow) beyond this focus: providing wider support to other countries working on GEM projects/market-based livelihoods projects, developing and testing approaches to MEL of market-based programmes and sharing lessons on practice across Oxfam.
In particular, the role is likely to involve:
- Leading on the coordinated delivery of MEL reporting requirements, and on quarterly and annual reporting compilation to the donor for GEM projects in 3 countries.
- Managing the final evaluation process for the multi-country project.
- Provide technical and advisory services at both global and country level on the operational MEL of market-based livelihoods programmes (primarily the GEM programme, but with an expectation that other market based livelihoods programmes will benefit from dissemination of practice and lessons learnt).
- Build capacity at the country-level of technical skills for core staff and partners, and improve understanding of the value of MEL for other staff and partners.
- Work with multiple teams in PSIT to support the development, improvement and application of guidance and tools. (In particular, we are interested in opportunities to apply MEL to support adaptive programming and a focus on systemic change.)
Engage with other Oxfam affiliates to help establish Oxfam International MEL standards and practices.