SOUTHERN AFRICA REGIONAL DIRECTOR
Location: Flexible in Southern Africa with preference for Lusaka, Zambia
We are seeking an exceptional leader to design and drive IDinsight’s Southern Africa strategy and operations.
IDinsight is an international development consulting organization that helps policymakers and managers make socially impactful decisions using rigorous evidence. We carefully tailor a wide range of analytical and quantitative tools to enable our clients to design better policies, rigorously test those ideas, and take informed action at scale to improve lives. Our services include experimental evaluation methodologies – including, but not limited to, randomized controlled trials – tailored to the priorities of international development decision-makers; monitoring and performance management systems to facilitate continuous data-driven improvement; policy design consulting and scale-up support. Our advisory teams are closely integrated into client organizations, and we strive to provide comprehensive support for clients who want to maximize their social impact through evidence-based policymaking.
IDinsight’s vision is to improve millions of lives by transforming how the social sector innovates, learns and improves.
Founded by graduates of Harvard Business School and Harvard Kennedy School, IDinsight works across Asia and Africa and is rapidly expanding. Our clients include state governments in India, national Ministries across Africa, the World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, international NGOs and innovative social businesses. We work across a range of sectors, including governance, health, education, energy, agriculture, and sanitation.
IDinsight provides a range of data-driven policy advisory services. Example engagements include:
- Designing and evaluating anti-corruption reforms: An Indian State government seeks to decreasecorruption in a $300 million per year school feeding program that reaches 9 million beneficiaries. IDinsight is helping to design a set of policy reforms and will conduct a randomized evaluation to determine which combination of strategies is most cost-effective. The results will guide the government’s decision of which reforms to scale up.
- Evaluating innovations to improve water, sanitation and hygiene: A large multilateral institution hasasked IDinsight to help them increase their impact on water and sanitation outcomes. IDinsight will run experimental impact evaluations in Sub-Saharan Africa and South-East Asia to directly inform their programmatic strategies.
- Embedded team advising the government on expanding access to energy in India’s poorest state:
- The energy department of one of India’s largest, poorest, and most energy-deprived states seeks to improve electricity distribution. To support their reform efforts, IDinsight created and staffed an in-house learning cell that works closely with the Managing Director of the Energy Ministry to refine monitoring systems, design and evaluate innovations, and provide ongoing analytical support to answer critical policy questions, such as how to increase unsustainably low revenue collection.
- Catalyzing uptake of improved root crop varieties: One of the world’s largestfoundations is funding alarge government program to increase uptake of improved sweet potato varieties across Tanzania and Uganda, through market-based interventions, education campaigns, and community outreach. IDinsight will use process monitoring to refine the interventions and then conduct a randomized controlled trial on the revised program. This work will inform whether, how and where this model is scaled up.
IDinsight has operated across Southern Africa and is poised to grow significantly in the region. The Southern Africa Regional Director (EARD) will define and execute IDinsight’s regional strategy, establish close advisory relationships, and overseethe region’s operations. The SARD will be supported byIDinsight’s CEO and Partnerteam, and will assume responsibility for driving IDinsight’s work and growth in Southern Africa. This role will require up to 30% travel within the region.
- Strategy: The SARDwill be responsible for realizing IDinsight’s sector-transforming vision for the region.As IDinsight’s primary regional representative, the SARD will develop new client engagements and initiatives and refine IDinsight’s multi-country model.
- Relationships: Meaningful, trusting relationships represent the foundation of IDinsight’s model. The
- SARD will establish him/herself as an expert and trusted advisor to development leaders to increase program effectiveness and shape evidence-based action in the region.
- Teams and operations: The SARD will oversee all project and office operations. This includesmentoring IDinsight high-performing staff, and facilitating interactions between project teams and IDinsight’s global teams and experts. The SARD will play a lead role in hiring for the region.
Career and skill development is a priority for all IDinsight employees. SARD is a Partner-track position, with promotion to a global Partner role expected within 2 years for a high performer. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows for the role to be tailored to individual passions, goals and preferences. IDinsight is also committed to facilitating work-life flexibility to maximize professional satisfaction and sustainability.
- Deeply passionate about international development and social impact
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD), preferably in public policy, economics, public administration, business or public health
- 10 years of relevant experience, including managerial experience in a developing country
- Proven ability to be an inspiring leader in a dynamic, multicultural environment
- Record of driving organizational growth
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – a “people person”
- Direct client management experience
- Willingness to travel as needed and work with remote colleagues
- Strong quantitative and critical thinking skills
- Interest in using evidence to improve social impact - fluency in impact evaluation a plus
- Self-starter and quick learner who can hit the ground running
- Thrives in small organization setting, and able to adapt to dynamic growth and change
- Excited to work across many international development sectors
- Lifelong learner with keen intellectual curiosity and sense of humor
Dependent on relevant experience and background. Highly competitive with similar roles. Benefits include two round-trip flights per year, 401(k) retirement plan, generous leave, relocation allowance, comprehensive international health insurance and medical evacuation, and technology stipend. Two-year commitment required.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to careers@IDinsight.orgwith subject: “SARD Application”. Cover letter should include an explanation of interest in the SARD role, geographic preferences within Southern Africa, and earliest possible start date. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please direct any questions to careers@IDinsight.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer.