- Position title: Chief Oil Sector Regulatory Expert - ANRC
- Grade: PL-3
- Position N°: 50001017
- Reference: ADB/16/066
- Publication date: 09/05/2016
- Closing date: 29/05/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The African Natural Resources Centre (ANRC) is an entity of the African Development Bank established in 2014. The Center's mandate is two-fold. Externally, it supports Regional Member Countries (RMCs) improve development outcomes through effective management of natural resources wealth by delivering practical solutions on policy, legislative and investment decisions in the sector. Internally, it brings cohesion to the Bank’s activities in the sector by leading the development of the Bank’s natural resources management strategy that avails a single lens through which the institution addresses sector development opportunities and challenges. As and when the need arises, the Center also offers the lending arms of the Bank sector expertise support to improve delivery of country strategies, manage investment projects performance and add to the pipeline of investment opportunities.
The Center's scope of work includes both renewable (forestry, fisheries, land and water) and non-renewable (oil, gas and minerals) resources. The program of works focuses on capacity building for RMCs and covers policy advice, technical assistance, advocacy work and knowledge building. Program content is informed by the Bank's Ten Year Strategy, the Bank’s Natural Resources Management Strategy, High Five Strategies, the Center’s Strategy and Business Plan, demand form RMCs and partnership initiatives with regional and global organizations.
Duties and responsibilities
The primary purpose of this job is to lead the design and the delivery of policy advise and capacity building to RMCs in the oil sector. The focus of the work is to coordinate support on policies and legal frameworks in order to build institutional and skills capacity of RMCs to regulate the sector and manage public investments in oil projects. He or she will provide technical content for programs of advice to RMCs on policy, legal and institutional reforms as relate to regulatory and strategic matters. The incumbent will be the Center’s focal point in managing relations with consultants’ institutional partners and private sector entities as well as departments of the Bank. The incumbent will provide technical support to the policy analysis team on the oil sector. The incumbent will also lead advocacy initiatives and coordinate knowledge building programs in the Center’s stated areas of focus.
The incumbent will achieve this by:
- Designing solutions and programs of support to capacitate RMCs,
- Coordinating advisory work on oil regulatory matters, including policy, legal and institutional structures,
- Leading the provision of technical advice on negotiations of oil development projects between RMCs and investors,
- Designing and directing technical aspects of work programs delivered by experts and consultants ,
- Keeping abreast of global trends in the oil sector policies to improve governance of the sector,
- Collaborating with other Bank departments and think-tanks to benchmark policy formulation in order to assist RMCs strengthen institutional know-how,
- Identifying potential areas of support to RMCs and designing appropriate interventions,
- Keeping abreast of international and regional conventions as relates to the oil sector,
- Forging partnerships with peers in the regions, Civil Society Organizations’ (CSO), industry and think-tanks in the oil sector,
- Advising the Division Manager on oil sector programs ,
- Managing all resources allocated to specific role.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in the petroleum sector with a preference for oil including petroleum policy, petroleum engineering, petroleum economics or related disciplines,
- A minimum of 7 years relevant work experience in the oil industry, regulatory environment, international organizations or a Think-Tank with a focus in the sector,
In addition to the formal qualifications, the incumbent must have the following competencies:
- Knowledge of the oil sector regulatory environment and regional initiatives in the sector,
- Knowledge of the various stages in the oil economic value chain,
- Knowledge of commercial and technical aspects of the oil sector, practical knowledge of at least one of the disciplines specified under qualifications,
- Design of funding proposals, policy briefs and discussion papers,
- Documenting policy briefs, discussion papers and case studies,
- Knowledge of principles of good governance,
- Knowledge of influencers of public policy,
- Ability to interact with senior officials in the public and private sector,
- Capacity and ability to work independently to interact with senior executives at regional and international level,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English/French and a working knowledge of the other language,
- Work competency in the Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.