Purpose of the Assignment
Support Ministry of Local Government and Housing (MLGH) in WASH communications, advocacy and behaviour change
The Technical Advisor will be fully answerable to the Ministry of Local Government and Housing . The scope of work to be carried out by the Consultant shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Support the implementation of communication activities as delineated by the new NRWSSP (2016-2030) and the publicity component of the Open Defecation Free Zambia Strategy and other WASH strategies in collaboration with key WASH stakeholders.
- To finalise and implement a Communication, Advocacy and Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) Strategy on Water Supply and Sanitation;
- Design and implement advocacy events that raises the profile of the new NRWSSP (2016-2030) so as to increase investment to the sector.
- To facilitate effective liaison and co-ordination of all press functions with the media and other stakeholders;
- To prepare Speeches, Statements, Talking Notes for Ministers, Permanent Secretary and Directors on Water Supply, Sanitation and Solid Waste related issues;
- Liaising with and answering enquiries from media, individuals and other organizations on Water Supply and Sanitation matters;
- Collaborate with the Monitoring and Evaluation Team (MER),MLGH to establish quarterly workshops with key sector to update agreed key indicators of WSS and provide communications capacity training to stakeholders for disseminating such information;
- Design and editing a WSS Newsletter Letter and articles for uploading on the Ministry Website, as well as to facilitating regular updating of website content on WSS;
- Facilitating production and dissemination of Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials and products (brochures, handouts, leaflets, promotional videos, photographs, documentaries, etc);
- Organizing events including press conferences, exhibitions, open days and press tours;
- Facilitating commemoration of special events such as the World Water Day, Global Hand Washing Day, World Toilet, as well as activities related to the Keep Zambia Clean and Healthy Campaign etc;
- Support quarterly workshops with key sector stakeholders in order to provide updates against the programmatic indicators, provide communications capacity training to stakeholders, and find ways forward to coordinate the efforts of all stakeholders and potential interest;
- To undertake any activity/assignment incidental to the above.
The consultant will be expected to deliver the following;
- A Communication and BCC Strategy and Implementation Plan developed and implemented;
- Advocacy events to increase funding for water supply, sanitation and hygiene.
- Publicity of ODF Zambia 2020 increased through IEC materials and radio, newspaper, TV and newsletters reports of national and local events such as ODF Chiefdom/District celebrations;
- Quarterly workshops updating and disseminating key WSS indicators;
- A quarterly Newsletter on WSS published;
- Website on WSS regularly updated;
- Television and Radio Documentaries produced and aired;
- Keep Zambia Clean and Healthy Campaign activities implemented;
- Regular media statements, briefings and attend to WASH TV and Radio activities;
- Public/community shows conducted;
- IEC Materials and Products produced and disseminated.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
The assignment requires a strong background in WASH and IT with a focus on MIS, coordination of M&E activities and capacity building including the following skills;
- Demonstrated experience working in the WASH sector in Zambia.
- Ability to write speeches and other communication materials clearly and on demand with little supervision required.
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively within MLGH on various communication activities that highlight WASH advocacy events and activities
- Excellent communication skills. Computer and internet and preferably experience with using web based software. Should be a strategic thinker with strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate clearly. Be fluent and has excellent writing skills in English language. Has an excellent computer skill with the ability to use MS-Office applications (knowledge of a relevant design and drafting software is an advantage).
A minimum of a degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations or related field.
Years of relevant experience
At least five years of experience with public relations, media, communications or behaviour change interventions or equivalent education with work experience