Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Long Term Planning Specialist.
Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of the life of mine plan.
- Development of standard operating procedures and training programs for National Understudies
- Ensure that all Life of Mine (LOM) plans meet company, regional and corporate strategies and objectives, and play an active role in development of these strategies and objectives
- Create the LOM plan ensuring equipment is utilised effectively and efficiently. Undertake equipment trade-off studies and develop justifications for positive outcomes.
- Develop Reserve Statements from LOM Plans including evaluating alternate scenarios and sensitivities, and prepare any accompanying reports and analyses.
- Report mid-year and year-end reserve and resource statements in accordance to NI43-101
- Develop, evaluate and report on optional LOM scenarios in accordance with stakeholder requirements
- Produce updates of the 3 and 5 year plans as required by Business Planning calendars.
- Ensure regular reruns of pit optimisation to ensure maximum recovery of economic ore, in accordance with geological model changes and any other step changes in input parameters
- Under the guidance of the Department Superintendents develop pit, dump and other infrastructure designs which are appropriate to suit the needs of the planning team.
- Ensure pit designs (final and stage) are updated as required, and document control is in place to track the latest versions.
- Develop Capex and Opex and financial models for all LOM plans and optional scenarios.
- Regularly revise strategies on grade cut offs based on reconciliation data and market demands as per Barrick standards.
- Track actual performance against LOM plans, analyse production trends and forecasts, to ensure consistency with LOM planning parameters.
- Provide strategic guidance to the medium and short term mine planning teams and assist them to develop production and cost trend analyses.
- Ensure that environmental policies and strategies are incorporated into mining plans.
- Provide support to other mine planning disciplines when required.
Experience & Qualifications
- B.Sc. in Mining Engineering.
- Member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia, or be eligible
- Is able to act as QP as per NI43-101 requirements
- Minimum 10 years hard rock Open Pit mining engineering experience
- Minimum 5 years in LOM and Strategic Planning
- Expert cost and production modelling skills
- Expert user of Vulcan, Whittle and preferably Minemax
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilising large scale mining equipment i.e. drill rigs and blasting experience essential.
- Experience in mine planning, design and production.
- Must have a current driver’s license.