Requisition Number: 496688
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi)
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1.3 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- The incumbent will assist in achieving or bettering predicted performance of the processing facility and will be expected to:
- Conduct test work and analyse the results of test work programs and plant trials using statistical analysis tools to support findings and recommendations.
- Report on and present findings of test work to management.
- Manage the collation and reporting of water flows and inputs to the KML site wide water balance, as well as regular updating of the balance.
- Be accountable for implementing process improvements in the plant. Monitoring such improvements and reporting on actual performance with the area production metallurgist.
- Be familiar with and provide checking of the metallurgical accounting procedure and software.
- Provide technical assistance and support to the production supervisors, shift teams and metallurgists responsible for other areas of the plant.
- Assist the process control team with managing improvement projects and covering for periods of peak demands and absence.
- Project Management
- Oversee development projects, control and direct project status, and initiate corrective action to deliver projects on time and cost. Ensuring project compliance and quality are achieved while identifying improvement opportunities.
- Investigate and research new technology and equipment which may improve plant performance.
- People Management
- Set and maintain a high standard in the areas of safety, community relations and the environment by promoting and adhering to KML's Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Procedures.
- Operate as a technical reference point and mentor for production personnel while ensuring work outputs are in line with strategic and business plans.
- Budget Preparation/Cost Management Control
- Provide input to the KML budget preparation process.
- Monitor and control overhead charges, understand costs through interrogation of financial reports on a regular basis. Report and provide detailed submissions on variance to management and identify improvement opportunities.
- Be accountable for the submission and approval of purchases and expenditure within the delegated limits of authority.
- Contribute and assist with the development of capital expenditure budgets.
- Compliance/Quality Control
- Promote and adhere to KML internal methodologies, policies, procedures and standards by consistently maintaining a high quality of work across all allocated functions.
- Interpret legislation, government standards and agreements. Provide input and informed commentary, improvement opportunities and areas of risk to management.
- Be accountable for the quality of work output from the unit/department through an ongoing monitoring and audit process.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory and company standards through training and development of staff and promoting by example.
- Participates in the process department call out and after hours support roster.
- The incumbent will ensure that all reporting required meets KML standards and is completed and distributed on time.
- Administration Functions
- The incumbent will ensure all administration functions and tasks associated with the position are undertaken and completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Behavioural Traits / Personal Characteristics
- Commitment to SHEC performance;
- Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others;
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability for technical and metallurgical team output;
- Strong ability to task assign, build working relations and coordinate different operating disciplines to create a "team" environment;
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, bottlenecks and implementing metallurgical testing;
- Affinity to supervise technical research, direct and train metallurgical engineers and technicians;
- Accustomed to carrying out advanced calculations and possess ability to analyze and understand highly complex and statistical metallurgical data;
- Excellent understanding of metallurgical process improvement and control strategies for large-scale, continuous operating mineral processing plants.;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
- Be diligent and thorough in approach;
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner;
- Computer fluency is a must.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- English language fluency.
- Operational Requirements
Qualifications (required for job)
- A Tertiary Qualification in Chemical Engineering, Extractive Metallurgy or Mineral Processing;
- Post graduate technical qualification highly regarded.
- Core Specific Responsibilities – related to this Job
Knowledge and Experience required for job
- Excellent communication and team based skills
- Tertiary Qualification – Degree in Metallurgy or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years experience in the industry
- Experience with copper or other appropriate process
- Advanced PC skills and computer literacy
- Understanding of financial and administrative processes
- Problem solving ability
- Self motivated
- Accountable and decisive
Advertised: 07 May 2016 FLE Standard Time