- Provides leadership and direction to maximize the potential of medical and non-medical staff involved in patient care to meet AHF’s Mission, vision and goals
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Medical Responsibilities include:
- Maintains 40 hours weekly to see patients at the clinic, providing initiation, treatment, care and follow-up as required.
- Ensures that all patients access various diagnostic tests. Analyses and evaluates medical procedures and diagnostic tests that promote good clinical outcomes in accordance to standard guidelines.
- Provides leadership in analysis of reports, tests, examination and facilitation of referrals to medical specialists or other practitioners for specialized treatment.
- Participates in setting up and ensuring that, referrals to government clinics is operational within the agreed context with the department of health and partner institutions.
- Responsible for maintaining delivery of high quality medical care and efficiency of all services provided within the program.
- Audits, deaths, drop outs and adherence to anti retro-viral therapy and makes or implement standard recommendations to clinic staff, for appropriate follow-up.
- Liaise with the Data Manager so as to ensure that operational research activities are carried out in line with AHF policy.
- Responsible for chart review and peer review following the guidelines established by the Quality improvement committee. Must review at least 20 charts per week.
- Participates in Africa medical staff, Quality Improvement meetings and medical directors meetings (at minimum once a month) to discuss difficult patients and management issues. At least two cases should be presented per quarter.
- Ensures and monitors that all clinic staff participate in scheduled staff and recommended CME (continued medical education) in a manner that upholds peer interaction, with at least once monthly CMEs in line with HPCZ requirements.
- Liaise with the Medical Director so as to evaluate training needs for clinicians, nurses and Para-Medics in the clinic.
- Perform duties of Training Manager so as to assist the Medical Director with training programs in the sites supported/operated by AHF
- Pharmacy: ensure adequate uninterrupted supply of drugs and that a proper logistics management system is in place
- Ensures compliance with procurement policy and procedures for all medical supplies and commodities for the clinic
- Reviews all monthly pharmacy projections and orders for the clinic.
- Responsible for day to day medical operations of the clinic, including but not limited to:
- Develops departmental flow charts,
- Designs and implements patient flow
Human resource responsibilities include:
- Participates in job analysis for vacant posts, planning and design for the clinic.
- Participates in hiring, orientation of new employees.
- Responsible for planning, assigning and directing work in the clinics
- Responsible for appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees under his/her supervision; addressing complaints and resolving problems raised by clinical staff and clients.
- Develops the capacity of the workforce to contribute to and respond to strategic priorities, with emphasis on expanding access to ARV’s and continuously providing quality clinical care.
- Organizes staff training on medical protocols, new guidelines/directives in accordance with current legislation
- Encourages and fosters a positive work culture and safe work environment for staff
- Maintains adequate provider staffing at the center to ensure smooth flow of services.
- Prepares monthly and other important reports as necessary and required by AHF management.
- Interacts and liaises with partners of AHF in a manner that is professional and promotes the principle of positive collaboration.
- Undertakes any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (MBCHB or equivalent) with a post-graduate degree in Public Health from an accredited university. He/She should have a minimum of 5 years’ experience providing HIV care; plus at least 2 years of managerial experience and / training.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.